Plain or Peanut

Some days are melt in your mouth and some days are a little nutty.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Yelling and Running

So I work out an awesome gym, Blount Memorial Wellness Center. It's very clean and organized and has everything you could possibly need to make sure you maintain the highest level of physical fitness. There is an interesting array of people that work out there. In the mornings, there are mostly elderly people and stay-at-home-moms. Makes sense. In the evenings, there are people who come after work and younger people. Also makes sense. I used to go in the evenings and got to be good friends with the people who work there and work out. However, my work schedule has changed (thank goodness) so now I go in the mornings with all the elderly and moms. I am the only one of my "type" there. I always wonder if people think I am unemployed or just lazy or what. I kinda want to wear a t-shirt that says "I have a job."

But anyway... there is one elderly man there that is very interesting. He's short and stocky and always wears a some sort of Marine shirt. A few weeks ago he wanted to share the bench I was using. I just sort of looked at him funny because I didn't know what he was doing. But he just used my bench to support his arm while he curled about 80 pounds. Old doesn't mean weak. But... He yells. That's right. He shouts. Mainly when he runs on the treadmill and sometimes when he lifts heavy weights. (He didn't when he was using my bench.) But it's gotten to the point where people don't even look up at him. It's like you see the Marine shirt and expect to hear the yell. I wonder what it would be like to run and yell. If you are a Friends fan (and I know you are), do you remember the episode where Phoebe and Rachel were jogging and Phoebe just went nuts when she ran? She ran like a little kid and had fun with it, whereas Rachel focused on breathing, etc. I think Phoebe and the Marine man have a lot in common. There should be freedom in exercise and we shouldn't smirk at it, like I do when I hear the familiar yell.

I think maybe the next time I (attempt to) run outside, I will yell. I will just let loose and flail my arms about and not care if people hear me or see me. I think we should all give it a go. It must be freeing. And maybe I could even burn a few extra calories!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I think I am going to become "the pregnant lady who yells" at the gym. I don't lift more than 10 pounds at a time (doctor's orders) so it will be extremely funny.

6:34 PM  
Blogger JiLL @ Lellowbird said...

Em I want to be there when you do that. I don't want to be SEEN with you, I just want to be near by so I can watch.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

You will probably want to join me after you see how much fun I am having.

12:38 PM  
Blogger ImaMommie said...

When you do it, let me know so I can get my camera.

P.S. - I'm still laughing at this blog. It's one of the best ever.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home